Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Housewife Who Saved a Nation



Corazon Aquino Monument, Intramuros, Manila
The heavens cried and so did the world when we lost a great Filipino, public defender, the people’s choice, former President, our nation’s voice. One would think of a soldier of brawn or a military genius to have saved a country of such peril as dictatorship but, who would have guessed destiny’s grand plan for an ordinary housewife to overcome an extraordinary feat of saving a nation.

I was young then during the bloodless revolution, party to the hoards that honked horns en route to Malacañang waving yellow ribbons, wearing yellow shirts, flashing the Laban hand sign. Young as I was, my parents explained why we were there, from then I understood it was not a street party. I asked who the lady named Cory Aquino was and my parents answered, “She is the key that will set our future with democracy”. Again I asked, “What is democracy?” My parents answered, “You know in the house how we let you speak your mind, how we practice in our home that in every decision you matter and you come first, that’s what democracy is but this time the cause is bigger than us”.

Unknowingly, I found myself in tears when news broke that President Aquino has moved on. Why was I so affected? Why am in tears when I haven’t even met her in person? I then realized how much she has touched us all. I realized we have lost a stalwart of democracy and human rights. I realized that the world has lost another good person. I realized it was all too sudden and the nation and I were not ready.

I allowed myself to grieve. She was a personal hero and I could only wish to amount to something close to the tips of her fingers. Thanks to her paving the way to freedom and the restoration of democracy, that now being a woman, I can aspire and even do things beyond traditional or cultural norms. If it were not for her, the Filipino could not have freely expressed their greatness and most especially the Filipina could not have reached the fruits we are now enjoying. She’s the Moses of our time, deliverance was our gift but to her that meant sacrifice, even then her admirable love for country surfaced first and foremost.

August 3, 2009 people from all walks of life gathered around Ayala to show their respects and bade her farewell. There was an overwhelming feeling of sadness and joy in love all at the same time. Only Corazon Aquino managed to do that. Even In her death she awakened the slumbering solidarity yet again. That day the spirit of People Power was alive. We owe it to her to keep that sprit alive so that her sacrifices will not be for naught and so that our children and our children’s children will also experience democracy in their days.

The younger generation could now only look through the pages of history and I feel so blessed to have witnessed the time when President Corazon Aquino lead our country. I am proud to be associated with President Aquino as a fellow countryman, a blessed recipient of her legacy, a proud Filipina.

Mural of Cory, Corazon Aquino Building, Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila
She moved with grace under fire and touched us with her eloquence. She was truly a woman of faith, a woman of action who undoubtedly took the role of mother to this nation at heart. During her term, she not only restored democracy but she helped the nation heal through the transition from dictatorship to democracy by setting an example on compassion, sincerity, humility and forgiveness.

She tried to be just like the rest of us when she could never be as she was truly in a league of her own. I mourn for the loss of a conscientious leader, a nurturing mother to her children and this nation and my personal hero.  I could write volumes about President Corazon Aquino but in her honor I will keep it short and simple also because my words have been lost with my tears. She was a fine lady who is an inspiration to us all. In the end, as her casket peacefully lay in Manila Cathedral, she continues to go beyond her earthly duties by putting friends and foes, administration and opposition, young and old, rich and poor as one nation, one family she loved and fought for. Corazon Aquino the housewife changed it all. Thank you and farewell Mrs. President. Happy Birthday.


(This article was originally printed in 2009 as an editorial column, Photo and Article by Phoenix Pathfinder)
Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros,
Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros,
Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros,
Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros,
Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros,  
Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros, Corazon Aquino, Cory, Intramuros,

Do you like this article? Share it with your friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think of this article.