Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Part 1 of 3 La Union Surfing (Summer Surfari in San Juan)


A young surfer challenging the waves of San Juan, La Union
Visit these links 
Part 2 of 3 La Union Surfing - Summer Surfari in San Juan
Part 3 of 3 La Union Surfing - Summer Surfari in San Juan 


Surfing Safari- A surfing trip; a hunt for good surf

It has been decades ago in Micronesia when I first attempted to surf. As I helped sell windsurfers, catamarans and other surfing and big game fishing gears little did I know it was part of the job description to crash test dummy for these too and the reward was to have ended up front page for a daily riding the surf which was a cowabunga moment. When I went back after my radical sabbatical, surfing and I unfortunately never crossed paths. Lack of information about surfing here in the Philippines has left me and countless others with much inhibition to try the sport.  Now, I am on a mission. The beach boys sang it and I will say it...C’mon Surfari with me!

Surf’s up! Where?

A young surfer "flying" over the waves
There are a lot of factors to consider on deciding whether to go surfari north or south of the Philippines. Distance, tides/seasons, finances.  Mention surfing and someone will surely shout out Siargao, the surfing capital south of the Philippines known as the arena for gnarly waves but would require a steep spend and longer stay to savor the experience.  I only had the weekend free so accessibility is key.  I am on a tight budget and expense comparisons between the two, north to La Union is friendlier for the budget traveler.    La Union surf is blessed with two seasons from July to October which is great for novice riders and November to March where the breaks are more consistent and bigger yet still offering breaks perfect for grommets (young surfers) and the likes of me rekindling my long lost love affair with surfing. 






Due to my long absence in surfing, I won’t dare cloud 9 in Siargao just yet, I am praying though the tides in La Union will be kinder and be a good teacher as I start surfing 101 all-over again.

A surf instructor showing the basics of a good surf

With my considerations I opted to go north to Brgy. San Juan in the friendly town of Urbiztondo, La Union known for the best breaks catering to both beginners and seasoned surfers.

Cool face paint, pink shades, graying hair complement this senior surf guru
 
To get to this surf capital up north, take your pick. Fly, car, van rental or take the bus.  By air, PAL, Asian Spirit, Air Philippines and Cebu Pacific can fly you to San Fernando city in La union then hop on a tricycle to San Juan.  Road trip on a car or a van would be nice but cramped. By car, travel time could take around 5 hrs, gas cost for your car and van rental cost (more or less P5000 depending on your transaction) will drain you even before you go on your trip. 

The best way to go to La Union is to take the road mammoths that seem to plow their way through onto a destination, where my only concern will be when the next stop is to use the can.  I chose to take the bus because of the NO FUSS. I didn’t have to go to any office for reservation, or make bank deposits or do full car check-up for the trip and no transfers. I simply had to go to the bus terminal in EDSA, paid for my ticket (P385 1-way going to La Union), made sure I told the operator I was going to San Juan, La Union and drop me off at Sebay Resort. 

A young surfer riding the rough waves of San Juan, La Union

Once I had the ticket, got into my bus and I was set. The ride took roughly 5hrs with all the pee(it)-stops, pick-ups and drop-offs. From Sebay resort, I checked out accommodations along the beach and what a relief when I learned that I only had to go back to the drop-off point and wait for the same bus line of choice with placards that says Cubao/Pasay and be well on my way back to Manila. How easy was that?!  Had I known it was a cinch I would’ve done this long time ago. 


Visit these links
Part 2 of 3 La Union Surfing - Summer Surfari in San Juan 
Part 3 of 3 La Union Surfing - Summer Surfari in San Juan


----------------------


Side-Bars

Air Lines:

Zest Air
Domestic Road, Andrews Ave., Pasay City
Tel. (632) 8531957 / 8547158

Cebu Pacific
NAIA T3 Andrews Ave., Pasay City
Tel. (632) 7020888

PAL (Philippine Air Lines)
PNB Financial Center, President Diosdado Macapagal Ave.,
CCP Complex,  Pasay City
Tel. (632) 8558888
Tel: (072) 720-0340

Sebay Resort/Surf Central
Tel: (072) 2425484

Bus Lines:

Partas
Pasay City, EDSA
Tel.(632) 8514025
Or
Bernardino St., Aurora Blvd.,Cubao
Tel.(632) 7257303, 7251740; 7251256; 7249820

Farinas
Lacson St., Sampaloc, Manila
Tel. (632) 7438582

Resorts/Accommodations in San Juan,Urbiztondo, La Union:

San Juan Surf Resort/Billabong Surf School
Tel: (072) 720-0340

Sebay Resort/Surf Central
Tel: (072) 2425484


Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union Surf Surfing Surfari Billabong Surf School San Juan Surf Resort Surfer Surf Guru Landrigan Sebay Resort Urbiztondo La Union San Juan La Union

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think of this article.