Saturday, March 10, 2012

Calamian Isles… Heaven on Earth (Coron and Busuanga, Palawan) Part 6 of 7


Dive link helped me with my island hopping itinerary as well as the transport.  All I had to do was ride my rented outrigger boat, rate depends on how big the available boat is, ranging from P1,500 - P2,500 good for the day. I was sent off like a kid on my first day of school, reminding me about my snorkeling/diving gear, that there were entrance fees P100/person-P200/person (minimal donations for upkeep) to be collected for most of the stops and they even packed up my lunch and drinks.




Coron Island or Higantes as the locals call it appears like a sleeping giant from a distance, upon close inspection you’ll see that Higantes is made up of small beach strips, caves, coves and lagoons. The ancestral roots of the Tagbanua tribe could be traced here and has been said to have occupied this land for a little more than 3,000 years. 


Malwawey Island 
Off the western side of Coron Island is where you can find Skeleton Wreck aptly called for the small wrecked ship that lies beneath.  It has fine white sands, a good snorkeling site that serves as appetizer for the day’s thrills. 

Twin Lagoon
Mother Nature always seizes to amaze me.  Most often the splendors showcased have caused palpitations, momentary disassociation from reality, and at times when I think my heart just came to a halt from such beauty another sight of grace jumpstarts my ticker in an instant.  Some take it for granted and considers the experience only as a playful activity. It was different for me, the slow approach to twin lagoons held me captured by the limestone cliffs formed eons ago.  Twin lagoon is a wonder.  How two different bodies of water (fresh and salt) come together, the science of thermo cline at work was a treat in my lifetime.  I saw and felt the difference as I was swimming through and under a gap going to the other side of the lagoon and it was simply amazing.

Scenic Kayangan Cove and Crystal Kayangan Lake

Kayangan Cove is a masterpiece.  I could hardly believe that such a place existed in real life.  I was surrounded by rock formations and crystal clear waters that I only get to see in movies.  It was so inviting that a humungous monitor lizard swam in the midst without a care in the world.  Boats were docked, boatmen and tourists eating their meals either preparing for the steep climb of 300+ steps to Kayangan Lake or a reward for doing so.  If you’re not so fond of heights, just don’t look back. 


If you must grovel, do so because Kayangan Lake is something you shouldn’t miss out on. 



Kayangan Lake or blue lagoon is the cleanest lake in all of Asia, I just hope it stays that way with the traffic of tourists. Halfway up to the lake is a cave/view deck where you can see Kayangan cove in all its glory, truly breathtaking.


Still a little winded, I pushed myself on to satisfy my long overdue curiosity. Upon seeing the lake I instantly wanted to rip my clothes off and jump into the water clear as glass.  It mirrored the view of the cliffs while it gave me a clear sense of its depth. The curious shrimps and playful needle looking fish that have grown accustomed to having visitors kept me company. Nature sounds of trickling water, birds chirping excitedly, even whispers are echoed by the acoustic environment. It is even more enchanting to see it under the moonlit sky as it reflects magical romance between La Luna and the lake.

Barracuda Lake
Barracudas live in shallow tropical waters and can grow 6ft long and a foot wide. They are fierce looking creatures with prominent fangs that’ll scare you halfway to the Pacific. Their fearsome appearance and stories of old have given them such a bad rep.  This is where the lake got its name, stories told of a resident giant barracuda. I had second thoughts whether to test the waters or just enjoy the site from the boat. The boatmen said it was safe and though the thought of being prospect of a snack for a barracuda was unsettling, I took their word for it and dove in. The lake itself enveloped you in its tranquility. I felt safe in its calm and beauty. One can even climb the jagged rocks for a better view.

Visit these related links
Part 7 of 7 Calamian Isles… Heaven on Earth (Coron and Busuanga, Palawan)

Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island, Palawan, Coron, Busuanga, Siete Pecados, Kayangan Lake, Cayangan Lake, Kayangan Cove, Cayangan Cove, Dive Link, Malwawey Island,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think of this article.